Last Saturday night we hosted a wimsy little dinner party. We were celebrating a friend, Marlon, that is moving away from the City for the summer. Our timing was perfect -- before National Vegetarian Week and on the day predicted to be the end of the world.
I had a hoot with the planning. I made a tablecloth from Marimekko's Unikko colorway in blue. The table was set with our lovely new dishes, some older pieces & vintage things. Each bite of dinner was delish but the company was better. Thankfully, it was not our last supper -- I can't wait to throw the next party;-).
Here's what was on the menu:
- kid "caprese" salad (arugula, tomato, pesto, mozzarella)
- pink bean chili (cooked in the crockpot overnight)
- PLG dogs (veggie hotdogs w/ a bar of toppings)
- pom frites (yummy)
- vanilla ice cream & bailey's brownies w/ dried fruit & nuts (my new favorite desert to make)
** you can make Bailey Brownies too -- keep reading **
- one box of Dr. Oetkers organic brownie mix
- follow directions: preheat oven, grease pan, add eggs & butter, mix
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of Baily's Liquor
- dried fruit & nuts into smallish chunks (I used pineapple, apricots, and pecans)
Pour brownie mixture into greased 8' inch pan and arrange dried fruits and nuts on top.
Bake according to directions (note: it will likely take longer than the time on the box). Insert a toothpick into center of pan to check if done before removing from oven.
Let cool, cut & ENJOY!